Malware is a general term that describes viruses, worms, Trojan horses, spyware, adware, rootkits, and other unwanted software or programs. Once a malware program has gained access to a device, it can disrupt normal computing operations, collect information and control system resources.
Malware programs are being produced at an alarming rate and are often transmitted via emails, instant messages and website pop-ups. To protect your personal files from being stolen or deleted, consider the following safety tips:
- Avoid opening or replying to emails or text messages from unknown sources.
- Download files from reputable sources whenever possible.
- Turn Wi-Fi, GPS and Bluetooth off when you are not using them.
- Do not share your mobile phone number on public websites and social networks.
- Avoid jailbreaking (modifying a device to remove manufacturer-imposed restrictions) your smartphone.
It is also important to have trusted anti-virus and anti-spyware programs installed on your devices. These programs should be set to perform scans on a regular basis for unwanted and harmful programs. Often, it is best to perform scans overnight when your computer is not in use.
You may also be interested in: Four Components of Cyber Risk Management
Cornerstone Insurance Brokers is a full line insurance brokerage with offices in Woodbridge (Vaughan), Aurora, Markham, and Barrie. Cornerstone provides car insurance, home insurance, motorcycle insurance, farm insurance, equine insurance, rural insurance, business insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, critical illness insurance and health insurance, as well as employee group benefits all over Ontario.