Camping is an activity enjoyed by millions of Canadians each year. To keep the experience fun and safe there are some basic essentials that every camper should take.
Before setting out, it is important that you have the following items:
- A medical kit – It should include a topical antibiotic, bandages, cotton swabs, antacids, scissors, tweezers and burn ointment, at a minimum.
- Flashlights – Bring several, and ensure beforehand that they are working correctly. Carry along some extra batteries as well. You may wish to purchase an LED flashlight; although more expensive, they last much longer.
- Water – It is never a good idea to drink from natural water sources such as lakes or streams. Bring along bottled water, water purification tablets or a water purifier. If you decide to bring bottled water figure 4 litres per person per day to cover drinking and cooking.
- Sunscreen and sunglasses – Being out in the sun for hours at a time—much less days—can cause irreversible skin and eye damage not to mention the immediate discomfort sunburn will bring to your trip.
- Waterproof matches – Even if everything else is wet you can still make a fire
- Insect repellent – Not only is sunburn unpleasant, but bug bites can be nasty too.
- Extra clothing – As hot as it may be during the day, nighttime may be an entirely different story. Plus, should your clothing get wet accidentally, you will want dry items to change into.
Finally, leave information about where you are going with a friend or family member. Include the make of your car and its licence plate as well as when you plan on returning.
Make sure you clean up all trash and belongings when leaving your campsite. Always strive to leave things better than you found them so other will get the chance to fully enjoy the beauty of nature just as you have.
Are you going camping for an extended period of time? Contact your broker at 1-888-768-8001 to let them know so they can update your file. If you are looking for home insurance, feel free to contact Cornerstone Insurance Brokers and we will get back to you at your convenience.
Cornerstone Insurance Brokers is a full line insurance brokerage with offices in Woodbridge (Vaughan), Aurora, Markham, and Barrie. Cornerstone provides car insurance, home insurance, motorcycle insurance, farm insurance, equine insurance, rural insurance, business insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, critical illness insurance and health insurance, as well as employee group benefits all over Ontario.