Though a home security system may seem like an expensive investment, it could help pay for itself, considering that you may get a discount on your homeowners insurance premium for having a system in place. You know you want to protect your family and home, but you may not know where to begin. We’re here to help you get started!
Choosing the Right System for Your Home
Selecting a Company:
When selecting a home security company, it is important to pick one with a history of delivering quality products and reliable service to its customers. To check dependability:
- Make sure the alarm manufacture is listed with Canadian Standards Association (CSA).
- Request a reference list of current clients you can contact.
- Contact the Better Business Bureau (BBB) or your local police department to see if they have any knowledge of complaints against a specific provider.
Choosing a Monitoring Service Option:
The service that monitors your home is one of the most vital parts of your security system. Here are some additional options to consider:
- System backup: Look for companies that offer cellular or radio backups to keep your system online even if all physical lines to your house are down.
- System tests: Ask potential providers what types of tests they use and how often they are conducted as well as what is done if an error is discovered.
- Maintenance: Look for companies that offer annual maintenance as part of your normal cost of service.
When you think of home security, you may only think of a burglar alarm. However, a fire alarm system is just as important. A fire that starts while you’re away from home can result in losses that far surpass those of a break-in. Having a fire alarm built into your home security system will ensure a quick response in the event of a fire, whether you’re home or not.
Have you taken advantage of home security system insurance discount under your homeowners policu? To find out if you qualify, contact your broker by calling 1-888-768-8001.
You may also be interested in: Deterring Burglars this Summer
Cornerstone Insurance Brokers is a full line insurance brokerage with offices in Woodbridge (Vaughan), Aurora, Markham, and Barrie. Cornerstone provides car insurance, home insurance, motorcycle insurance, farm insurance, equine insurance, rural insurance, business insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, critical illness insurance and health insurance, as well as employee group benefits all over Ontario.