When a natural disaster like a tornado, flood or earthquake strikes, the last thing you want to think about is going back to survey the damage and file a claim. However, this important step will ensure that you are reimbursed for damages and will allow your family to regain a sense of security.
Here are the seven major steps to take when filing a property claim:
- Protect property from further damage.
• Cover the property if it is exposed to the elements.
• Make temporary repairs, if reasonable and necessary.
• Maintain a record of all expenses incurred.
- Take photos of damage (if possible).
- Prepare an inventory of damaged person property.
- Retain damaged property until a claims adjuster approves its disposal (unless a danger to safety exists).
- Notify police in the case of theft.
- Expect to be contacted by the claims adjuster within two working days. Please call Cornerstone-BrokerLink if you have not been contacted within that timeframe.
- Be prepared to provide additional information as requested by the claims adjuster.
What is covered under homeowners’ insurance can vary from policy to policy. Never wonder if you have the appropriate coverage for a certain situation, always consult your policy to make sure you and your family have the protection you need. When questions arise, contact Cornerstone-BrokerLink at 1-888-768-8001 for answers.
Cornerstone Insurance Brokers is a full line insurance brokerage with offices in Woodbridge (Vaughan), Aurora, Markham, and Barrie. Cornerstone provides car insurance, home insurance, motorcycle insurance, farm insurance, equine insurance, rural insurance, business insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, critical illness insurance and health insurance, as well as employee group benefits all over Ontario.