There’s no place like home for the holidays – or is there? December 23rd is the busiest travel day of year, with millions of people navigating through busy airports on their way to catch flights to visit loved ones or head south for some much needed rest and relaxation!
If you plan on leaving your home unattended over the holidays, keep in mind the following tips to ensure your home is protected while you are away:
- Use timers to turn lights and other electronics (radio, TV) on and off throughout the day
- Have a neighbour or trustworthy friend stop by your home on a daily basis. This may include picking up any mail or flyers that have collected at the front door, and taking a look around to make sure there is no evidence of water damage, leaky pipes, or a break-in
- In case it snows, ask a neighbour to shovel the walkway and sidewalk to prevent slips and accidents in front of your home. If you plan on leaving your car parked on the driveway, have your neighbour use a snow brush to wipe off the excess snow
- Ensure all doors, garage and windows are locked
- Consider adding a central-monitored security system, which in addition to peace of mind, provide a discount on home insurance
- Review your current home or tenant policy to ensure there are no lapses in coverage while you are away
Have any questions about your current home insurance policy? Need a quote? Contact Cornerstone Insurance Brokers at 1-888-768-8001 or send a request online.
Cornerstone Insurance Brokers is a full line insurance brokerage with offices in Woodbridge (Vaughan), Aurora, Markham, and Barrie. Cornerstone provides car insurance, home insurance, motorcycle insurance, farm insurance, equine insurance, rural insurance, business insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, critical illness insurance and health insurance, as well as employee group benefits all over Ontario.