Your car’s tire performance is essential to both its safety and its efficiency. Before making the switch to your summer tires, make sure you take the time to inspect their quality. Tires eventually lose traction and braking ability, and should be replaced when necessary. When your tires are in tip-top shape, they ensure that you stay safe behind the wheel.
What Your Should Look For
Here’s how to determine if you need to replace your tires:
- If you look at your tread pattern and notice the beginnings of the tread wear bars starting to form between the treads or running across the tires, and then become flush with the tires’ tread, you should replace your tires.
- Conduct the nickel test by placing the coin upside down with the Queen facing you in the centre of the tread.
- If you can see the top of the Queen’s head, replace your tires immediately.
- If the Queen’s crown is partially visible, start comparing tire prices, as you will need new ones soon.
Maintaining Your Tires
Use the following tips to help keep your tires in the best shape possible:
- Rotate your tires from the front to the rear in pairs.
- If you drive a four-wheel drive or all-wheel drive vehicle, replace all four tires when it is recommended in your service manual.
- Since tires do not wear evenly, perform the nickel test at several points from the outside to the inside of the tires.
- Test and replace your tires at the same time.
- Always keep your tires properly inflated.
If you notice that your tire wear is extremely uneven or that your tires have worn out much faster than you expected, visit a competent auto shop. They will check your suspension and make any necessary corrections before replacing your tires.
You may also be interested in: Ontario Winter Tire Discount
Cornerstone Insurance Brokers is a full line insurance brokerage with offices in Woodbridge (Vaughan), Aurora, Markham, and Barrie. Cornerstone provides car insurance, home insurance, motorcycle insurance, farm insurance, equine insurance, rural insurance, business insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, critical illness insurance and health insurance, as well as employee group benefits all over Ontario.