Staying safe while travelling involves more than simply locking your valuables in a hotel safe. Today, cyber crime is just as prevalent as conventional crime. In fact, your digital property may be more valuable to criminals than your personal property. Before packing for your next road trip, take the following precautions to protect yourself and your belongings while away:
- Turn off home and work computers before you leave. Computers that are always left on are more vulnerable to hacks.
- Back up all data. Store sensitive files either on a removable storage device locked in a safe or in a secure facility in the cloud.
- Be cautious when using public Wi-Fi. If it is necessary to go online in public, use a secured connection. If you have to use an unsecured connection, avoid checking bank balances or visiting any site that asks you for personal information, which can be easily stolen.
- Enable a pass code on your smartphone. This can prevent hackers from accessing sensitive information should you lose your phone.
- Use a credit card instead of a debit card for purchases. A cyber criminal can deplete your bank account with your debit card.
Another way to protect yourself on vacation is to purchase travel insurance. Contact Cornerstone at 1-888-768-8001 to speak to a licensed broker or contact us online.
You may also be interested in: Protect Your Home Over the Holidays
Cornerstone Insurance Brokers is a full line insurance brokerage with offices in Woodbridge (Vaughan), Aurora, Markham, and Barrie. Cornerstone provides car insurance, home insurance, motorcycle insurance, farm insurance, equine insurance, rural insurance, business insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, critical illness insurance and health insurance, as well as employee group benefits all over Ontario.